Archive Mode. Call DFAA 2018 Sights & Insights ended on 5/4/18, 10:00 PM. Call settings are read only. See Current Open Calls
City Gallery at Chastain and Dunwoody Fine Art Association (DFAA) Present The 2018 Southeastern Regional Art Exhibit
SIGHTS & INSIGHTS
A juried art exhibit to give regional artists the opportunity to display artwork in a prestigious Atlanta gallery.
In excess of $1500 in Awards
June 18th to July 27th, 2018
City Gallery at Chastain
135 W Wieuca Rd NW, Atlanta, GA 30342
Juror – Yu-Kai Lin
About the Juror – Yu-Kai Lin is the Owner and Director of Kai Lin Art. Yu-Kai has worked with curators, developers, architects, and designers to collect art. He’s collaborated with teams to curate exhibitions and build collections for organizations such as The High Museum of Art, Whole Foods Market, Coca- Cola, W Hotels, Emory University, Oglethorpe University, Atlanta Botanical Garden, The Savannah College of Art and Design, Turner Broadcasting System, The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Kennesaw State University, as well private collectors.
Yu-Kai Lin has maintained an active role in the Atlanta arts community. He graduated from Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia with a Bachelor of Art in Music: piano performance. He was featured in The Atlantan’s Arts and Power issue. He enjoys teaching piano, his students, and the love and support of his family and friends.
About City Gallery at Chastain – Chastain Arts Center & Gallery is the oldest community arts center in Atlanta and is part of the City of Atlanta’s Mayor’s Office of Cultural Affairs. Its mission has always been to provide a nurturing place where artists of all ages and skill levels are encouraged to create, learn, and enjoy. The Chastain Gallery was listed as Best Gallery in 2011 in The Atlantan Magazine and Karen Lowe was listed as 2017 Best Curator in Creative Loafing.
About DFAA – Dunwoody Fine Art Association, Inc. (DFAA) is one of the oldest artists groups in the Atlanta area. It was formed in 1971 by a group of Dunwoody artists. It was granted not-for-profit status in 1987. DFAA exists for educational, civic and charitable purposes connected with fine art. It provides for the artistic advancement of members, the stimulation of interest in fine art in the community and supports art education in Dunwoody. DFAA has rotating exhibits at various locations throughout the Dunwoody area, conducts the annual Dunwoody Fine Art Month, holds meetings and workshops in the North DeKalb Cultural Center and conducts exhibits and activities throughout the community.
All entries for this exhibit must be submitted electronically using dfaa2018.artcall.org
Entry Fee – A flat fee of $30 for DFAA Members and $40 for non-members for submitting up to 3 pieces
March 26, 2018 – Registration opens
May 4, 2018 – Registration closes
May 21, 2018 – Notification sent to artists
June 8, 2018 – Accepted work, hand delivered by artist, to the City Gallery at Chastain between 10 AM and 3 PM. Shipped art pieces must be received at the City Gallery at Chastain by this date
June 15, 2018 – Reception and Awards Ceremony at the City Gallery at Chastain from 5:30 PM to 8 PM. NEW TIME as of 6/4/18
June 18 to July 27, 2018 – Exhibition open to the public
June 30, 2018 – Gallery Talk with the juror at City Gallery at Chastain at 1:00 PM. NEW DATE AND TIME as of 6/4/18
July 27, 2018 – Show concludes
July 27, 2018 – Hand delivered work to be picked up at the City Gallery at Chastain. Pick up July 27, 9:30 AM to 4:00PM
July 31, 2018 – Shipped work returned to shipping company
Eligibility – Entry is open to all artists aged 18 and over who are residents of AL, FL, GA, NC, SC or TN
Accepted Media – Fine art media may be 2-D or 3-D and includes for this exhibition: painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, photography, mixed media and collage subject to the following criteria:
1. All work must be original and created by the submitting artist.
2. 2-D pieces must be mounted by wire. The work should protrude no more than 4” from wall.
3. Photography pieces may be modified by digital processes or in the “dark room” provided that the original photograph and all modifications were completed by the artist.
4. Art work requiring installation or placement by the artist will not be allowed.
5. The City Gallery at Chastain and DFAA may refuse any artwork which is deemed inappropriate, offensive or improperly presented.
Entry Submission – Each artist is required to register at dfaa2018.artcall.org, make payment of entry fee and provide jpg images of art pieces being entered into the exhibit by May 4, 2018. Any portion of the entry package reflecting a later date will disqualify the entry.
Methods of Entry – Registration opens on March 26, 2018
Registration may be completed online per instructions at dunwoodyfineart.org directing artist to:
dfaa2018.artcall.org including submission of images and payment of entry fees.
Entry Fees – The entry fee for the 2018 Sights & Insight Exhibit is a flat fee. By payment of the fee, the artist may submit up to three works of art.
1. DFAA members, $30
2. Non-members, $40
3. The entry fee is non-refundable
Criteria for JPG Images – All entries will be juried for acceptance from the jpg images submitted. The jpg images must follow the following criteria:
1. The largest dimension of the image (whether width or height) must be at least 960 pixels (the minimum) but not greater than 4600 pixels (the maximum). The smallest dimension of the image must be proportional so that the image accurately reflects the actual art piece.
2. The maximum file size for each jpg is 4 mb.
3. The orientation of the jpeg (portrait or landscape) must reflect the actual piece of art work.
4. The resolution of the image must be 72 pixels per inch.
5. Submit one image for each 2-D piece or 3-D piece.
6. Images of 2-D pieces should show only the art work without any frame, mat, etc. being included in the image.
7. If necessary for clarity, DFAA may request additional jpg images of 3-D pieces. 8. File name must correspond to the title of the artwork depicted.
Accepted Work – For all pieces accepted, the following requirements will apply:
1. 2-D artwork must meet the following criteria:
a. Maximum finished size (including frame if applicable) may not exceed 48” x 48”.
b. 2-D work must be ready for hanging by wire with wire in place. No saw-tooth hangers, eye-hooks or other hanging methods will be permitted. Wire ends must be taped
c. Framed pieces must have a relatively simple frame.
d. Pieces requiring protection (watercolors, pastels, etc.) should use plexi-glass. Glass may be used on smaller pieces at the artist’s risk. Mats (if applicable) must be white or off-white, or black.
e. Gallery wraps are acceptable provided that they are 1 1/4 “or greater in thickness
f. Total weight (including frame, mat, plexi-glass, etc. if applicable) must not exceed 25 pounds in weight
2. 3-D artwork must meet the following criteria
a. Maximum finished size for 3-D work is 18” in width and depth and 24” in height.
b. Total weight of piece must not exceed 25 pounds in weight.
c. Piece must be self-standing.
d. Piece must be able to be handled by Gallery staff members – work which requires pieces to be installed or placed by artist will not be allowed.
3. All artists are encouraged to insure their own artwork. City Gallery and DFAA will not accept responsibility for loss or damage.
Accepted Work Notification – Notification sent to artist via email from artcall.org on or about 5/21/2018
Awards – The following cash awards will be presented to the winning artists at the exhibit reception on June 15, 2018 at the City Gallery at Chastain:
1. First Place - $700
2. Second Place - $500
3. Third Place - $200
4. Honorable Mention - three honorable mention awards
Requirements for Exhibited Work
1. Artists are obligated to provide their work for the duration of the show. Accepted work that is not delivered or is withdrawn by the artist will prevent that artist from being eligible for future DFAA juried exhibitions. Further, exhibited pieces that are withdrawn will require the artist to pay 40% of the listed price to the Gallery.
2. The juror and the sponsoring organizations have final authority on works selected for the exhibition.
3. All accepted work must have a legible identification label affixed on the back for 2-D work and the bottom for 3-D work. Submission labels should be printed from the artist’s submission page on dfaa2018.artcall.org. Claim tickets should be printed from the same page.
Shipment and Delivery of Accepted Work to the Gallery
1. Accepted work may be hand delivered or shipped to the gallery.
2. All hand delivered work must be brought to the City Gallery at Chastain at 135 W Wieuca Rd NW, Atlanta, GA 30342 on June 8, 2018 between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM.
3. All shipped work must:
a. Be shipped by either UPS or FedEx
b. Pieces must be boxed and protected by padding and/or bubble wrap that can be stored and reused when artwork is returned to artist.
c. No loose packing material (styrofoam ‘’peanuts”, organic material, etc.) may be used. Any piece received with loose packing material will be immediately returned to the artist and the work will be disqualified from the exhibit.
d. All shipped pieces must include documentation showing return shipping to artist has been prepaid. If a piece is received without prepaid shipping information, the artist will be notified that the work is disqualified from the show. Further, the artist will be given one week to forward prepaid shipping documentation to Dunwoody Fine Art Assoc. and the City Gallery at Chastain. In the event that the documentation is not received, the work will become the property of Dunwoody Fine Art Association.
e. Should the piece be damaged during shipping, the artist will be notified as to the extent of the damage and will have the following options:
i. Should the damage be quickly repairable and if the artist agrees to pay for the repair, the work will be taken to a local professional for the work required.
ii. Should the damage not be quickly repairable, the work will be returned to the artist using the pre-paid shipping documentation previously sent.
iii. It will be the artist’s responsibility to recover any fees for damage from the shipping company.
f. Shipped pieces must be sent to the City Gallery at Chastain, 135 W Wieuca Rd NW, Atlanta, GA 30342 and be delivered to the Gallery by June 8, 2018.
Sales and Commissions
It is the artist’s responsibility to value each piece and all pieces exhibited will be offered for sale at the retail price shown on the registration form with the exception of any pieces specifically shown as $0.00 (indicating not for sale) during registration. Neither City Gallery at Chastain nor Dunwoody Fine Art Association can or will guarantee art sales. A reasonable effort will be made to promote sales.
All artwork sold at the exhibition will have a 40% sales commission. Prevailing state and local sales taxes will be applicable at the time of sale. Payment for work sold will be sent to the artist within 30 days of the end of the exhibition.
Return of Exhibited Work to Artist
1. Unsold shipped art will be returned to the artist by the same shipping company used to send the piece to the exhibit provided that the artist furnished and included prepaid shipping documents and instructions.
2. Unsold art which is delivered by UPS or FedEx will be returned to the shipping company on July 31, 2018 for return to the artist.
3. Artists picking up in person or by agent must bring claim ticket printed from your submission page at artcall.org .
4. Unsold art that was hand delivered will require artist pick up at the Gallery at Chastain. Pick up July 28, 9:30 AM to 2:00PM; July 30, 9:30 AM to 4:30PM; July 31, 9:30 AM to 8:00PM
5. Work to be picked up by a designated person other than the artist must have identification and a consent letter signed by the artist.
6. Other than pieces which have been prepaid for return to artist, pieces which have not been claimed and picked up by 8 PM July 31, 2018 will become the property of DFAA and will be sold or discarded by the organization.